Water for Nature
In recent years, SPNI's EPD has targeted water issues by bringing the water campaign to a national focus through the combined energies of every SPNI employee and volunteer. Water issues in Israel are vast, spanning from residential, industrial and agricultural water conservation, implemented via public awareness and lobbying campaigns, to sustainable planning recommendations for how water is allotted in Israel by the National Water Authority - as everything trickles down from there, ultimately impacting not only the Kinneret and the Dead Sea, but the entire system of rivers and streams in Israel.
Rehabilitation of Israel’s Rivers
SPNI's River Rehabilitation Campaign brings experts including hydrologists and ecologists who have strategically researched the issues and developed a national sustainable water plan which proposes solutions. The plan defines the quantity of water needed to rehabilitate streams to ensure long-term security. It has been adopted by the Israel Water Authority and approved by the government.
- To promote a national plan to rehabilitate Israel’s rivers and streams and raise the issue of the state of rivers within the public discourse.
- To change to the Water Law which will lead to the
- To promote increased water conservation and efficiency in the private sector.
- To encourage the use of grey water where appropriate.
- To curb pumping from coastal aquifers.